Get off your bum, your life depends on it!
I wish I could sugar coat this, but I just can’t. As a society we really need to get moving and stop sitting so much, period. Over the last year our society has been flipped upside down and kicked in the face. Stress, sitting, anxiety, mental health issues, and obesity are all on the rise and now is no time to laugh it off and do nothing. Many have been forced home to sit in front of screens all day and breath recycled air. If you believe any of this makes you healthy, then society should be in the healthiest state we’ve ever been!
Sitting and not moving are a chronic epidemic. Let’s take a look at the facts.
- Over 25% of American adults sit for more than 8 hours every day. 44% of those people get little to no exercise.
- The average American watches approximately 3 hours of television every day.
- The average American is active less than 20 minutes every day.
- And countries with the highest obesity rates are most affected by the current virus you’ve been hearing about non-stop (As of March 2021, 2.2 million of the 2.5 million deaths occurred in countries with HIGH obesity levels).
A 2011 study documented 800,000 people and their sitting habits. The study compared people who sit the most, to people who sit the least. Guess what they found?
The sitters had a…
- 112% increased risk of diabetes.
- 147% increased risk of cardiovascular events like heart attack and stroke.
- 90% increased risk of death from cardiovascular events.
- 49% increased risk of death from any cause.
Why is sitting so bad?
Blood flow slows down, allowing for fatty acids to build up in the blood vessels, leading to heart disease. Sitting for extended periods of time may lead to insulin resistance which can cause type 2 diabetes and obesity putting people at an increased risk for blood clots as well. Oh, and it slows your body’s ability to process fats, so fat gets stored!
So what’s the solution?
I work with so many people in chronic pain, and one the healthiest things everyone can do at any age is get moving! Movement can be different for everyone! Here are some ideas:
- Set a timer and get up at least 10 minutes for every 45 minutes sitting during the work day.
- Get Walking! We complicate exercise so much we forget to move, walking is amazing for the body. If my clients don’t have a movement routine I highly encourage them to get out and walk every single day! Park further from the entrance of the store, grab a pet and get outside! 60-75 minutes of moderate activity (steady walking) can counter the effects of too much sitting.
- Try our Spinal Hygiene program. This is a movement for life program, I highly highly recommend it. It is free and you need no equipment.
Keep it simple, it’s not rocket science but you have to make a conscious commitment to move, no one is going to move for you! It’s good for your heart, lungs, and mental health! Bring a friend and make it a social experience, which is also healthy! Let’s get out there and make no excuses, your health depends on it!
Ok, I was sitting too long writing this blog, gotta go!