Chances are that you already know that water is good for you! In fact, water is often referred to as the elixir of life and this is for a good reason. Every system of the body needs water in order to survive. We should actually be drinking half our body weight in ounces every day for our body to be well hydrated!
Water helps to regulate body temperature, keeps the joints lubricated, prevents infections, and carries nutrients to the cells of the body. In addition, the liver and kidneys work to get rid of toxins in the body and these organs rely on water to complete their job.
Approximately sixty percent of your body weight is made of water. While a person can survive without food for many weeks, dehydration can kill you in just a few days or possibly hours depending on the environment and temperature.
Dehydration is caused by more water moving out of the cells of your body than into them. When this happens it is not just water that is being lost. Electrolytes such as potassium and sodium, which are critical for cell function are also being lost.
Staying hydrated is important and is just one of many reasons that you should be drinking water. Here are 6 health benefits of drinking water.
- Joint Health: Water can provide you with the minerals that you need for optimal health. The joints in your body are the cushions that support the weight of your entire body.In order to function properly, the joints need an adequate amount of water. When you do not get enough water your spine and joints can become seriously damaged. Pain that is caused by thinning cartilage and herniated discs in the spine can be eased by simply drinking enough water each day. Proper hydration will help keep your muscles and joints lubricated so you will be less likely to get sprains or cramps. Our joints need water and our joints also need to be in proper alignment. If there is uneven pressure on the joints it can cause excessive joint wear and tear. This misalignment of the joint can be corrected through chiropractic care and the alignment has an increased chance of staying when a person maintains proper hydration.
- Eliminates Cellular Waste: If you drink enough water your overall health is going to improve. When your body is not getting enough water toxins will saturate the blood and blood flow will slow down. This saturated blood has many toxins that are stored in the cells instead of being excreted from your body.This blood will have less oxygen, which means that your brain and other organs are not getting enough oxygen, which can make you feel drowsy or foggy throughout the day.
Increase Energy Levels: Water creates magnetic and electrical energy in each cell of the body. This can provide you with a natural energy boost. Many people who are feeling low on energy will drink caffeinated drinks in order to boost their energy levels. However, while these drinks will provide a quick boost to your energy, it is not sustainable as caffeine provokes dehydration.Drinking plenty of water will reduce fatigue and boost your energy levels overall. Once again, staying hydrated is important as it provides your body with all that it needs to function at optimal levels.
- Improves sleep: When you do not drink enough water throughout the day you may find that you have difficulty sleeping at night. The reason for this is because when you do not have enough water in your system your body will not produce melatonin. Melatonin is responsible for regulating your sleeping patterns. When your body is not producing melatonin it can cause all sorts of problems.
- Digestion: Water is a very important part of your digestive system. Water is used throughout the entire digestive process as a way to break down the food that you eat. When you are drinking plenty of water you will be less bloated and your body will be getting rid of excess toxins regularly. This includes producing bowel movements regularly, which is extremely important in the elimination process. Eating enough fiber and drinking enough water are both important parts of ridding your body of harmful toxins.
- Immunity: Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of drinking plenty of water is the fact that it can help boost your Immunity. Drinking water will help fight off diseases such as the flu as well as other ailments like heart attacks and kidney stones. Water with lemon is used for ailments such as intestinal problems, respiratory disease, arthritis, etc. Overall, drinking enough water can greatly improve your health overall as it will boost your immunity levels and help you feel better overall. Making sure that you have a nervous system that is functioning optimally is another way for your immunity to improve. Chiropractic care directly affects the nervous system which in-turn stimulates the immune system.
It is important that we make a conscious effort to stay hydrated throughout the day. Increasing our water has these 6 benefits, and many more. It is also important to make sure that we have a healthy functioning nervous system because that also aids in joint health, elimination of cellular waste, energy levels, improved sleep, digestion, and immunity. So drink more water and get your nervous system checked!
Zelman, Kathleen. “6 Reasons to Drink Water.” Nourish by WebMD, WebMD, May 08, 2008, https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water https://simplyhealth.io/20-healthy-benefits-drinking-water/?utm_source=%2Bhealth%20%2Bbenefits%20%2Bwater&utm_medium=20HealthyBenefitsofDrinkingWater&utm_campaign=adw_us&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMqSBhDCARIsAIIVN1UTZTkPSNy3sAkNnd7-jCRLiLCjQM0gh8oya5HJ2RlxicOhFaE0QZUaAtY3EALw_wcB